Summer Training Program
The OSJ Summer Training Program is a unique training opportunity for singers who have strong vocal technique and a clear commitment to developing a career in opera. Opera San José is looking for men and women, ages 20–28 years old, to participate in its first summer program. Age exceptions will be made for unique and exceptional talent.
This two-week program encompasses individual coaching sessions and tailored group workshops enabling singers to develop their vocal and dramatic skills in a professional environment, with unprecedented access to the wealth of expertise provided by Opera San José, insight into the world of professional opera, and valuable opportunities for dialogue with key people from within the industry.
The fee to take part in the 2016 Opera San José Summer Training Program is $200.
The Summer Training Program will be held weekdays June 20 through July 1, 2016 ending with an Opera Scenes performance on July 2, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Opera San José’s main rehearsal hall. Although the Summer Training Program is designed to be compatible with employment and family life we expect students to commit fully to their attendance at all Summer Training Program sessions. Please carefully consider your commitments before applying for the course as we will not be able to take your application further if you are unavailable.
Applicants must apply via an online application. The deadline for submitting applications is
5:00 p.m. Friday February 26, 2016. All applicants must also submit at least three references and a headshot. Please note that late or incomplete applications cannot be accommodated and we are not able to accept applications via email. PLEASE NO RESUMES
The first round individual auditions will take place March 19 and March 20 at Opera San José’s offices, 2149 Paragon Drive, San Jose, CA 95131. All applicants must be available on one of these dates in order to be considered for the course. Please prepare three operatic arias, at least one of which must be in English (translations acceptable). You may not be required to sing all three pieces.
Singers will participate in daily sessions including:
- Dance and Alignment
- Baroque Styles and Technique
- Business of Music
- Beginning Conducting for Singers
- Musical Theatre Master Class
- Period Movement
- Performance Anxiety
Instructors currently scheduled include:
- Brian Asawa, Countertenor and Singer Manager
- Kenneth Shaw, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
- Raphael Boumaila, Darma Yoga and Reach BC Dance Company
- Heather Cooper, Director, SJSU School of Dance
- Khori Dastoor, Audition Techniques
- Sandra Bengochea, Stage Director
- Dr. Jeffrey Benson, Director of Choral Activities, SJSU
- Janie Scott, Musical Theatre
- Joan Walton, Periold Movement Specialist
- Dana Fonteneau, The Wholehearted Musician
- Joseph Frank, Tenor and Lecturer
- Cindy Sadler, Mezzo-soprano and Classical Singer contributing journalist
Please direct all inquiries to Professor Layna Chianakas.