Director of Advancement
Opera San José seeks a passionate and focused fundraising professional to join its expanding patron facing teams and drive the day to day operations of the development department. Working closely with the General Director and Managing Director of Institutional Advancement & Strategy, this position’s responsibilities will include developing strategies to help significantly expand the organization's fund-raising activities, building upon the recent expansion of the individual giving programing, and identifying opportunities around institutional partnerships.
Now entering its 38th season, Opera San José is one of the three pillar arts institutions in Silicon Valley and is unique in the nation maintaining a Resident Company of artists. With a $5M budget and annual fundraising goal of $3.5M, the company is in a growth period and has been at the forefront of the industry in developing new audience delivery methods and revenue sharing models.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish annual goals for contributed revenue. Develop and execute strategies around increased giving opportunities.
- Prepare and implement an annual fundraising plan, including projections, timetables, and deliverables.
- Develop and implement strategies for direct mail and electronic fundraising, communications and cultivation efforts, including events and subscriber benefits.
- Oversee grant proposals. Research and analyze grant-funding sources from private foundations as well as federal, state, and local agencies. Prepare grant funding applications for submittal and assist with the preparation of quarterly or annual reports as required by granting agencies. Create and maintain all grant application materials, reporting materials, templates, grant letters, grant agreements, etc.
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events throughout the year.
Requirements for Consideration
- 3+ years of senior-level fundraising experience with a track record of success in gift cultivation and solicitation.
- Vision to develop new advancement programs and execute successfully.
- Exceptional customer service and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated success identifying institutional funding opportunities and writing grant proposals.
- Strong written and verbal skills with the ability to communicate smoothly and efficiently with company members, donors and patrons, guest artists, musicians, and trustees.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously in a busy environment. Maintain strong judgement, discretion and integrity under stressful circumstances.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekend hours, and to travel around the Bay Area as needed.
- Passion for and knowledge of the performing arts.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex data.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with a strong work ethic with a results-driven attitude.
- The ability to assert influence in ensuring deadlines are met, and leadership stays on track to critical deliverables or communication timelines.
- Demonstrated track record of handling a variety of constituencies and multiple priorities simultaneously.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Experience successfully managing non-profit direct mail and membership programs.
- Comfortable being in a front-facing role and speaking before groups or individuals.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Chinese.
- Experience working with a CRM database.
Compensation based on candidate’s relevant experience and track record of securing major gifts. This position is classified as full-time, salaried exempt and is therefore not eligible for overtime pay. This position is eligible for company benefits which currently include paid-time-off, shared-cost health insurance plans, flexible spending account, and pre-tax savings program. Benefits may change from time to time as Management determines.
Opera San José cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds may grow personally and professionally. Opera San José is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or veteran status in hiring, promoting, training, benefits, recommendations, rate of pay or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Careers@OperaSJ.org. Please include “Director of Advancement” in the subject line of your email.
Reports to the General Director, Opera San José, San José, California
The Production Department at Opera San José is responsible for all production and technical details related to the development, creation, and performance of productions, presentations, concerts, and events produced by OSJ. The Production Manager leads general administration for all such production activities across all venues including the California Theater, OSJ’s Heiman Digital Media Studio, and offsite Bay Area venues, and serves as the stage manager for black box productions and community events.
- Lead general administration of all productions, working closely with creative team, production and administrative staff.
- Organize and lead all production meetings; create and track design deadlines and deliverables; in collaboration with heads of production departments, assess project needs and design viability, problem solve budgetary and logistical issues, track the progress of design builds, and maintain healthy and effective production department communication in order to effectively and efficiently move projects forward on time and on budget.
- Manage all production department contracting, on-boarding, hospitality, and payment for production personnel and production related staff hires, including but not limited to Directors, Designers, Stage Managers, Choreographers, Crew, and Designer revival rights & royalties.
- Oversee the production department budget development, reporting and reconciliation.
- Create, distribute, and update all necessary production calendars and production information.
- Serve as OSJ liaison for performance or event space venues, coordinating production schedules, production and crew needs, technical requests, and show-specific requirements.
- Serve as production point of contact for Team San Jose while in residence at the California Theater. Manage the administrative venue-specific tasks while in residence, including security cards and keys, parking, EMT scheduling, door guards, and HVAC needs.
- Track negotiations and ensure compliance with production department union collective bargaining agreements. Participate in union CBA negotiations as needed.
- Serve as stage manager for non-mainstage productions, including but not limited to events in the Heiman Media Lab and offsite Bay Area venues.
- Oversee all OSJ production rental inquiries including administering all rental, sale, and licensing agreements. Oversee maintenance and updating of the rental catalogue.
- Collaborate with the Artistic department in the creation and maintenance of the OSJ season master calendar and the OSJ master weekly schedule.
- Oversee the OSJ digital media and archival video library, including timely uploading and organization of all production files
- Manage and update the OSJ production history database.
- Manage local and off-site storage facilities in conjunction with the Technical Director.
Requirements for Consideration
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of Production Management experience in the performing arts
- Strong project managements skills, and the ability manage multiple projects in a busy environment
- Experience stage managing live music performing arts events
- Ability to interact and communicate well with people of various backgrounds
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously in a busy environment
- Computer skills: Excel, Word, Outlook, digital file storage and organization
- Excellent judgment, discretion and integrity under stressful circumstances
- Ability to read music
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend rehearsals and performances
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Strong understanding of computer technology, video and streaming technology and hardware, and live-streaming platforms such as OBS
- Experience with union compliance and budgeting
- Fluency in VectorWorks and AutoCAD software, and online project management tools such as Asana
- Interest in and/or knowledge of opera
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong decision making and leadership skills
Opera San Jose offers competitive wages for its industry and location. This full-time position is classified as exempt and will be paid salary. This position is eligible for company benefits, which currently include paid-time-off, health insurance plan, pre-tax flexible spending account, and pre-tax savings program. Benefits may change from time to time as Management determines.
Opera San José, in desiring a more equitable world, is committed to fostering equity in our art form. Opera in the twenty-first century can and should demonstrate today’s values of equity and inclusion. We believe in building, fostering and sustaining a company that reflects, celebrates and serves the diverse communities of the Bay Area. Opera San José cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds may grow personally and professionally.
Opera San José is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or veteran status in hiring, promoting, training, benefits, recommendations, rate of pay or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
Interested applicants should submit a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. Please include “Production Manager” in the subject line of your email.