MLK Library Previews
A one-hour preview for each 2014-15 production is presented free of charge at the Dr. MLK Jr. Library, in San Jose (located at the corner of Fourth and San Fernando Streets). Moderated by GD Larry Hancock, the preview includes a lecture and performances by OSJ artists.
- Rigoletto: August 26, 2014
- The Italian Girl in Algiers: November 4, 2014
- Where Angels Fear to Tread: January 27, 2015
- The Magic Flute: April 7, 2015
All previews begin at 12 noon, and take place on the fifth floor of the library in the Beethoven Center.
Opera at your doorstep lecture series
Increase your understanding of opera and enjoy the upcoming Opera San José performance all the more by attending one of longtime OSJ subscriber Bradford Wade’s previews of Rossini’s The Italian Girl in Algiers. Composed when Rossini was only 21 years old, Italian Girl is nevertheless one of his three greatest comic operas. It’s a madcap comedy whose Act 1 finale left the first audiences gasping for breath and wiping tears from their eyes. Previews are scheduled as follows. To reserve a seat, please send a message to FriendsofOSJ@gmail.com
- Nov. 5 (Wednesday), 7:00-8:30 pm: Italian-American Heritage Foundation, 425 N. Fourth Street, San Jose (free event!)
- Nov. 10 (Monday), 2:00-4:00 pm: San Mateo Senior Center, 2645 Alameda de las Pulgas, San Mateo ($15)
- Nov. 10 (Monday), 7:30-9:00 pm: Pat Miller’s Music School, 14107 Winchester Boulevard, Los Gatos (free event!)
- Nov. 13 (Thursday), 7:30-9:00 pm: Law offices of Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, 1080 Marsh Road, Menlo Park (free event!)