Musique de chamber virtuose, featuring former resident Layna Chianakas
Jun 21, 2014
08:00 PM - 11:00 PM
On June 21, twenty major instrumentalists and singers will present a four French works in a program entitled “Musique de Chambre Virtuose” (Virtuoso Chamber Music).
- The major work of the evening is Ernest Chausson’s Concert pour violon, piano et quatuor a cordes. This unusual double concerto will feature violin soloist Stephen Waarts and piano soloist Gwendolyn Mok. Stephen is the recent First Prize winner of the Yehudi Menuhin International Competition. Gwendolyn is an internationally-renowned soloist who has appeared in concertos with the London Symphony, and the Hague Philharmonic.
- Opera star mezzo-soprano Layna Chianakis will perform Maurice Ravel’s thrilling Chanson’s madecasses (Madegascan Songs). She will be accompanied by pianist Gwendolyn Mok, flutist Teresa Orozco and cellist Michael Graham.
- Isabelle Chapuis (Principal Flute of Opera San Jose) will perform Andre Jolivet’s avant-garde Suite en concert (1966) for flute and percussion ensemble, conducted by Mark Starr. Isabelle and Mark are comusical directors of the Alliance Française Silicon Valley Festival of French Classical Music.
- A quartet of noted Bay Area flutists with piano will perform a tour de force by Charles-Valentin Alkan entitled Comme le vent (Like the Wind.) Originally composed in 1857 for piano solo, it is here.
- For more information, visit Alliance Francaise of Silicon Valley’s website.
For tickets ($20-$50), visit Brown Paper Tickets.