Opera San José, now in its 31st season, is a professional regional opera company that is unique in
the United States. Maintaining a resident company of principal artists, Opera San José specializes in
showcasing the finest, young professional singers in the nation, performing at the historic California
Theatre in downtown San José.
The Communications Manager works in conjunction with senior executives, the Board of Trustees,
the media, contract employees, and various public and private organizations and is responsible for
press relations, communications, and audience development. The candidate works to identify,
cultivate, solicit, and build a portfolio of press contacts, public appearances, and communications that
build the Opera San José brand.
• Develop new and manage existing media relationships
• Handle print media relations
• Secure and schedule interviews/media appearances
• Manage press comps
• Meet the press on opening weekends
• Prepare media kits
• Work with contracted publicist and photographers
• Working with the marketing director and marketing and development assistant, create a communications plan with consistent marketing messaging for the institution, and per production.
• Write and distribute releases
• Manage all aspects of the printed program coordination including gathering content, editing and preparing the file for the graphic designer to lay out
• Write brochure copy and assist with promotional copy
• Write web copy and maintain image bank
• Create social media plan and manage the execution of the plan including the curation of content. Track and provide monthly reports using sound metrics.
Audience Development/Group Sales:
• Create an annual group sales plan including lead generation, management and tracking, and audience development strategies using outreach events and other activities
• Schedule and coordinate adult outreach programs
• Create press opportunities from outreach events
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Strong writing and speaking skills
• Proven communications record in a non-profit performing arts setting
• Experience in media relations desired
• Knowledge of the San Jose/Silicon Valley media market preferred
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Works independently and takes initiative
• Handles sensitive communications and adheres to confidentiality
• Works on several projects simultaneously
• Maintains professionalism in all interactions
The Communications Manager works under the guidance of the Marketing Director, with a team that
includes box office staff, marketing and development, plus contract PR, design and photography
This is a full-time, exempt position with a benefits package. In addition to office hours, the candidate
will be required to work at evening and weekend performances at the theater during four productions
a year, as well as the annual benefit, annual voice competition, and outreach events.
Opera San José is a registered 501 (c) (3) corporation.
Opera San José is accepting resumes for this position. Interested parties should send a letter and
resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Principals only. No phone calls please. Opera San José is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to diversity of staff.