Manager, Individual Giving
Opera San José, now in its 30th Season, is a professional regional opera company that is unique in the United States. Maintaining a resident company of principal artists, Opera San José specializes in showcasing the finest young professional singers in the nation, performing at the historic California Theatre in downtown San José. Opera San José has an immediate opening for a full time Manager, Individual Giving.
The Manager, Individual Giving works in conjunction with senior executives and the Board of Trustees, and is responsible for individual gifts. The candidate works with the Board of Directors and other sources to identify, cultivate, solicit, and build a portfolio of major donors.
- Understands performing arts, and works to identify opportunities for individual giving
- Works with existing donors, and brings in new donors
- Works within annual giving cycle
- Analyzes database; data-mining, targeting for direct appeal
- Manages two annual direct appeal campaigns
- Develops Major Gift targets for the Board of Trustees
- Manages Planned Giving and Endowment events and communications
- Determines with management, individual donor benefits, and fulfills those benefits, including events, private tours, lunches and dinners
- Utilizes research tools such as Wealth Engine
- Attends meetings and workshops on philanthropy
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Development record in a non-profit performing arts setting desired
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of Tessitura funding database a plus
- Awareness of San José/Silicon Valley philanthropy
- Manage Individual Giving
- Network with senior executives, the Board, and volunteers to make contacts
- Work independently; take initiative
- Handle sensitive communications; adhere to confidentiality
- Communicate effectively and efficiently
- Work on several projects simultaneously
- Maintain professionalism in all interactions
The Manager, Individual Giving works under the guidance of the Senior Director of Marketing and Development, with a team that includes a part-time grant writer, and a part-time database associate.
This is a full time, exempt position with a benefits package. In addition to office hours, the candidate will be required to work at evening and weekend performances at the theatre during four productions a year, as well the annual benefit, annual vocal competition, and other donor events.
Opera San José is a registered 501 (c)(3) corporation.
Interested parties please send a letter and resume to email@example.com. Principals only. Resumes may also be sent through the mail to: Development Office, Opera San José, 2149 Paragon Drive, San Jose, CA 95131. Principals only. No phone calls please.
Opera San José is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to diversity of staff.
Posted November 18, 2013